In this article, I’m going to teach you how to lighten skin permanently and naturally. Everyone would love to have even toned, healthy, beautiful skin.
Uneven skin tone can be the result of a number of different things.
Known as hyperpigmentation, uneven skin tone is most often the result of an overproduction of melanin.
Responsible for giving your hair and skin its gorgeous color, melanin also helps to protect your skin against the damaging UV rays of the sun.
How To Lighten Skin Permanently and Naturally – Melanin
When it is producing normally melanin works well within your body, but when there is an overproduction, skin-tone will turn uneven leaving you with an unflattering complexion.
Kind of like an inkjet printer, damaged melanocytes can spray out uneven and make it blotchy. Your body produces excess melanin for a few different reasons.
In a study they had a group guess the ages of their subjects, they ones with hyper-pigmentation were judged to be approximately 10 years older than the ones with even toned skin… even if the later had more wrinkles.
Whether is a result of too much sun, hormonal changes, or scarring of the skin can all lead to an uneven skin tone, but fortunately there are things you can do to correct it. Whether the changes in your skin are caused by hormones or too much sun, there are things you can do to change it and have the beautiful skin you dream of.
How To Lighten Skin Permanently and Naturally – Product Considerations
You are inundated with countless formulas on the skin care market that promise to make skin appear brighter and more youthful. In the whirlwind of information and promises you may have noticed words like “illuminating,” “toning,” “clarifying,” “brightening” and “correcting”, how do you differentiate between the products?
It is important to carefully consider the promised benefits of the products in the light of that product’s specific ingredients.
A quality formula will include ingredients that reduce the prominence of freckles, other sun spots and even melasma. Optimally, it will also offer anti-aging and anti-inflammation benefits as well to further promote the youthful appearance of facial skin as well as help skin appear brighter and more radiant.
To aid your search for the ideal skin brightening product, I will go over the differences in whitening, lightening and brightening products, as well as how to read the ingredient labels.
How To Lighten Skin Permanently and Naturally – Overview on Prescription Whiteners
The strongest formula, skin whitening treatments, are usually a prescription such as Hydroquinone. It is available over the counter at 2% and prescription strength of 4% up to 7 or even 10% when compounded with a steroid to alleviate some of the harsh side effects.
These products can also be found over the counter that include harsh bleach to strip all or most of the pigment out of the skin.
This irritates the skin more and some people may develop post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH).
This condition occurs when whitening is applied to the skin and causes it to become so irritated (or they expose the treated skin to the sun) that they have a rebound effect. Other people may develop ochronosis which results in bluish spots that look like bruises.
In certain Asian countries, having whiter skin is considered beautiful.
With this in mind, skin care companies have designed products that help to whiten skin. These whiteners can cause damage to the skin and irritation.
Older women, or women with ethnic skin who have used these products throughout their life often develop hyperpigmentation on parts of their skin that can be permanently darker or lighter than the surrounding area. Due to this, skin whitening products should generally be used short term.
How To Lighten Skin Permanently and Naturally – Skin Lightening
The goal is normally to lighten the skin. With consistent use, it helps the skin lighten several shades and returns the dermis to a healthier color.
Most of these products are made with a tyrosinase inhibitors. This active ingredient stops an enzyme in the skin from producing melanin.
Without melanin, the skin cannot darken in the sunlight.
People who use tyrosinase inhibitors have to be careful about sun exposure because melanin and tanning are actually how the skin protects itself from the sun. Although the skin will be whiter, it can also lead to worse sun damage.
People who suffer from melasma, unusual pigmentations and dark spots should use lightening to make their skin take on a more even tone. Unlike skin whitening, the goal is to not reach an unnatural whiteness.
How To Lighten Skin Permanently and Naturally – Skin Brightening
Brightening agents are designed to impart a natural, vivid radiance to the skin. The skin is continuously creating new skin cells to replace dead skin.
Often, these older skin cells remain on the skin’s surface and can cause it to appear dull and old.
Skin brightening can help people improve the way their skin naturally sheds dead skin cells.
The difference between whiteners and brighteners, is generally brightening products contain AHA or Vitamin A (Retinol) to exfoliate the skin where the excess pigment in the skin has accumulated.
AHAs are acids derived from foods, and, as it turns out a type of acid that’s safe to apply to our skin. Citric acid, for example, from citrus fruits (lemons, oranges, etc.) is an alpha hydroxy acid.
Lactic acid is found in sour milk, but you may have also heard of or tried other AHAs, such glycolic acid, from sugar cane, which is also a popular ingredient in anti-aging topical skin care products.
Both lightening and brightening can help to give a natural clarity and glow to the skin.
How To Lighten Skin Permanently and Naturally – Prevention
It is far easier to prevent an illness than it is to cure it. Like they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
The sun and damage from the sun is one of the biggest triggers that cause uneven skin tone. Even if you go out for 20 minutes a few days a week for your vitamin D, please protect your face, neck and décolletage.
Even that small amount of sun cumulative will cause hyperpigmentation.
Freckles may be cute when you are little but they grow to be larger and unattractive as you age.
The sun’s rays cause damage to the skin.
These rays are harshest around midday, so outdoor light should be completely avoided from 11 in the morning to 2 in the afternoon. Whenever you do choose to go outside, you should apply a sun block that is at least 30 SPF.
If you go swimming or are outside for more than an hour, you should reapply it again every hour.
In addition to using sunblock, you can take precautions like wearing long sleeves or a hat. This can help prevent the sun from tanning the skin.
How To Lighten Skin Permanently and Naturally – My Favorite Ingredients
For skin that truly shines, take advantage of skin lighteners and brighteners for a better, healthier glow, radiant, vibrant.
These are a list of my favorite ingredients that brighten or lighten:
- Kojic acid – A white crystalline powder derived from a fungus is Asia. It inhibits the function of tyrosinase the protein responsible for producing melanin. It is good for sensitive skin.
- Bearberry extract – This comes from the leaves of the plant rather than the fruit, it contains
- Alpha Arbutin 1% – Relieves greater than the same concentration of hydroquinone. It also contains sun protection filters
- Whild Mulberry Extract (morus alba) – Health benefits of preventing heart disease cholesterol and diabetes it can also help lighten the skin. Mulberry and paper mulberry are both effective .4% reduced tyrosinase activity by 50%.
- Melanozyme – Mushroom derived dissolves melanin on the skin surface was originally derived to whiten paper.
- Citrus extracts – Lemon or orange slows down hyperactive melanocytes. Vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant. It fights free radicals that cause skin aging and darkening. It also increases the levels of glutathione and Vitamin E in your body.
- Licorice extract – Compound Glabridin in licorice inhibits the production of tyrosinase by 50% heals contains anti-inflammatory properties
- Phylianthus embilca – An antimicrobial protect from sun damage and reduces hyperpigmentation. It also helps the skin retain its natural moisture.
- Gigawhite – Patented skin brightener that also treats melasma. Derived from seven organically grown with alpine plants widely used as an alternative to hydroquinone.
- B3 Niacinamide – As well as brightening benefits the skin retains more moisture so it reduces fine lines.
- Lactic acid – Derived from sour milk, this is an instance where stronger is not always better.
- Papaya – It has an enzyme called papain that is responsible for skin whitening, reducing unwanted hair, exfoliating dead skin, repairing ageing skin etc. This papain enzyme is present in maximum concentration just under the peel of unripe papaya.
- Bilberry Extract – It lightens, brightens and de-puffs your eyes.
- Glutathione – The pioneer in whitening systems. A lot of people get Glutathione IV’s to lighten their skin. The IV’s have so many amazing benefits for our whole body, but that is another article.
How To Lighten Skin Permanently and Naturally – Retinol
Vitamin A or Retinol- Retinol is simply another name for vitamin A. It’s a type of retinoid, the family of chemical compounds related to vitamin A.
Other retinoids include:
- Retinoic acid (also known as tretinoin), retinyl palmitate, and retinaldehyde, all of which can be found in skincare products.
- Tretinoin is the active ingredient in Retin-A, the prescription acne cream, while adapalene—another retinoid—is the active ingredient in Differin Gel.
In addition to being a trusted treatment for acne, retinol is famous for its antiaging properties, cropping up in a range of anti-wrinkle and skin-brightening products of every stripe.
When retinol and other retinoids come into contact with skin, enzymes in the body convert the retinol into retinoic acid, the active form of the vitamin, according to Dr. Linder.
This is the special sauce that goes to work on skin cells in a variety of helpful ways.
Namely, retinoic acid works to increase cell turnover, stimulate collagen and elastin production, fade hyperpigmentation, and help skin stay hydrated and glowing without irritation.
Thanks to all this healthy turnover, retinol can treat and prevent everything from stubborn cystic acne and eczema to sun-induced wrinkles and dark spots. This is also an ingredient that can cause irritation so it is best used separately.
How To Lighten Skin Permanently and Naturally – Conclusion
As you can see, there are many different things you can do to lighten skin permanently and naturally.
With the right dose of prevention and natural nutrients, you can absolutely lighten skin permanently and naturally, without too much hassle.
If you have any questions or comments on how to lighten skin permanently and naturally, please post them in the comment box below.